Oklahoma City Thunder: Kevin Durant's triple-double leads Thunder over Warriors
Kevin Durant notched his first career triple-double with 25 points, 13 rebounds and a career-high 10 assists, and the Oklahoma City Thunder beat the Golden State Warriors 119-109 on Sunday night.
Photoview all 26 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
There's a difference.
“I was a passer,” Brooks said. “I couldn't make plays. Kevin can make plays. And by doing that he helps our guys get easy shots with his passes. That's what he's worked on.”
Durant's struggle is most readily seen in the turnover column of the stat sheet. Entering Sunday's game, Durant paced all Thunder players with four turnovers per game. He was third-to-last league-wide behind Jrue Holiday and James Harden, the reason many groan when Durant defers.
Sunday's triple-double, though, served as vindication for Durant mostly because he racked up 10 assists while turning the ball over just twice in 39 minutes. Four different players benefited from Durant's playmaking, led by Kevin Martin, who buried five buckets while benefiting from Durant being a wizard for much of the night with the penetrate-and-pitch game.
This is what it looks when Durant is totally in sync.
“He's always been a great passer. It's just up to us to make the shots,” said Russell Westbrook, who scored a game-high 30 points and finished three plays off Durant passes, including a monster breakaway dunk just before halftime.
“I think we're doing a better job of making shots for him and making sure we're spaced out and he has space to work and he has an opportunity to make good passes.”
Perhaps is time to look elsewhere to find the player who'll provide our points in bunches. Durant, the reigning three-time scoring champ, proved again Sunday he's long past that.
And the Thunder doesn't mind one bit.
“Some guys can just pass. Some guys can just shoot. Some guys can just rebound,” Brooks said. “Obviously with Kevin, he can do many things on the floor and we always have to challenge him because we don't know how good he will end up being.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister