Oklahoma City Thunder notebook: Jeff Green downplays first game back in OKC
Green said: “Everybody's going to make a big deal about it, but it's just another game we have to win.”
It's been more than two years since the trade that sent Jeff Green to Boston in exchange for Kendrick Perkins.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But Sunday's game against the Celtics will be Green's first inside Chesapeake Energy Arena as a visitor.
Green, who once was considered an integral piece to the Thunder's future and a fan favorite, missed all of last season after undergoing heart surgery.
“Everybody's going to make a big deal about it, but it's just another game we have to win,” Green told Boston reporters before departing for Oklahoma City.
Green is averaging 11.1 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.2 assists while playing 25.7 minutes in a reserve role for the Celtics. He was traded on Feb. 24, 2011, for financial reasons. Green ultimately signed a four-year, $36 million extension with Boston.
After being drafted fifth overall in 2007, Green spent 31/2 seasons with the Thunder franchise. He said his return will bring back memories but plans on treating it like any other business trip.
“It's a special place,” Green said of Oklahoma City. “It's where I started my career. But then again, I'm a guy who moves on. (Boston) is my city now. This is where I play. This is where I live. Thoughts and flashbacks will come back, but when it's all said and done, I'm there to play basketball.”
Boston has been without All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo since he tore his ACL on Jan. 25, requiring both surgery and Rondo to miss the remainder of the season.
Rondo scored six points with 16 assists and eight rebounds in Boston's 108-100 win over the Thunder in the first meeting between the two teams. He was averaging a career-high 13.7 points and an NBA-best 11.1 assists.
The Celtics, to the surprise of many, have gone 14-4 since losing Rondo. They won seven straight games immediately after Rondo's injury and now come to Oklahoma City on a five-game winning streak.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 20008Oklahoma tornadoes: Six May 20 tornado rumors corrected
- 14873Moore milestones: Missing moms make graduation day bittersweet
- 11274Live reporting: President Obama leaves Oklahoma after touring tornado damage in Moore
- 11227Oklahoma tornadoes: Two arms that didn't know they were broken helped rescue children at Briarwood Elementary
- 7454Three Oklahoma men die in wrecks on state roads
- 6157President Barack Obama to tour tornado damage in Oklahoma
- 6108Oklahoma tornadoes: 'Moore is going to come back stronger,' Obama says during visit