Spurs' Stephen Jackson fined for tweet on Serge Ibaka
Jackson fined $25,000, apologizes to Ibaka and fans for threat toward Oklahoma City star
On Sunday night, NBA executive vice president/basketball operations Stu Jackson announced San Antonio Spurs forward Stephen Jackson was fined $25,000 for issuing a hostile message via Twitter that was directed at Thunder forward Serge Ibaka.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 15 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Ibaka and Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace each received technical fouls when they became entangled late in the game on Friday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Jackson came to World Peace's defense and tweeted the following to Ibaka: “Somebody tell serg Abaka. He aint bout dis life. Next time he run up on me im goin in his mouth. That's a promise. He doin 2 much.”
San Antonio team general manager R.C. Buford said in a statement: “The recent public comments made by Stephen Jackson are absolutely unacceptable, can not be tolerated and do not reflect the standards held by the San Antonio Spurs.”
On Sunday, Jackson apologized for the tweet: “I apologize to @SergeIbaka, the NBA, and to all my fans for the comments I made. It was unprofessional and childish. I'm not a thug just a man who speaks his mind. It was not appropriate. I do apologize. Only a man can admit when he's wrong.”
Armed with a roster filled with long, athletic and physical players, Indiana coach Frank Vogel knew his Pacers had a chance to beat the defending Western Conference champions in its home gym.
“Half the teams that come into this building have lost the game already because they have no matchup that's even close to being able to handle (Russell) Westbrook and (Kevin) Durant,” Vogel explained before Sunday night's contest. “I'm not saying our (matchups) are favorable. There are no favorable matchups with those guys, but when you have length and guys who can guard their own positions as well as our two guys can, and you have guys who can protect the rim, then you have a chance.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M