Oklahoma City Thunder: Russell Westbrook is taking it easy — and that's a good thing
Oklahoma City's young, star point guard is cutting down on bad habits, improving in many other areas
Videoview all videos
Nov 29Mike Sherman leads a discussion with Darnell Mayberry,...
Nov 29It wasn't the kind of homecoming James Harden hoped for,...
Nov 29Darnell Mayberry and John Rohde explain how OKC was able...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Guys are just making shots,” he said. “The only way you get assists is if guys make shots.”
No one seems to know which Westbrook will show up from night to night. One night he might come out in attack mode as a scorer, as he did Wednesday against Houston. Another night he might be a facilitator, like he was at Boston.
Regardless of which route Westbrook chooses, he's proving he still can supply the alternate option. Against the Celtics, for instance, he chipped in 26 points to complement his eight assists, five of which came in the first quarter as he sought to get teammates involved.
“Like a lot of the great players, he has the ability to score and the ability to help his teammates,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks. “And he's doing that at a high level this year.”
Led by Westbrook, the Thunder is averaging 22.9 assists after finishing at only 18.5 last year. As a result, four players, Westbrook, Durant, Kevin Martin and Serge Ibaka, are averaging at least 15 points. It's a more balanced attack that has made the Thunder tougher to defend.
“Our team is seeing defenses much better now,” Brooks said. “Our offense is clicking at a good level.”
Though much of the improvement can be attributed to Westbrook, few would be surprised at his reaction when asked if he feels he gets the credit he deserves as a passer.
“Nah, I honestly don't even care to tell you the truth,” he said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena