Oklahoma City Thunder, Scott Brooks agree to contract extension
Technically, the Thunder was without a coach for roughly 40 hours before Scott Brooks signed a new multi-year contract Monday to remain as coach of the Western Conference champions.
Videoview all videos
Jun 29General Manager Sam Presti and Assistant G.M. Troy Weaver...
Photoview all photos
Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Previous reports have detailed it as a four-year deal worth between $16 million and $18 million, fully guaranteed.
The 46-year-old Brooks is believed to have made $2.1 million last season, which was the final year of his initial three-year deal as OKC's coach. That contract expired at 12:01 a.m. Sunday.
"Continuing with Scott as our head coach is extremely significant for the future of our organization," Thunder general manager Sam Presti said in a statement released Monday night. "As we have continually communicated, he has been integral to our success and we have a deep appreciation for his tireless dedication to our players' development. His experiences and core values are invaluable to our players as they continue to grow and improve and we are thrilled to continue our partnership."
The team has called an 11 a.m. news conference Tuesday to announce the signing.
Efforts to reach Brooks on Monday night were unsuccessful.
Brooks became the Thunder's interim coach on Nov. 22, 2008, after P.J. Carlesimo was fired following a 1-12 start.
In Brooks' three full seasons as coach, the Thunder advanced to the playoffs each season and had the third-most victories (152) in the NBA behind the San Antonio Spurs (161) and Chicago Bulls (153).
Brooks is 174-125 (.582) during the regular season and 24-19 (.558) in the postseason.
The Thunder this season won its second straight Northwest Division title and defeated the Spurs 4-2 for the Western Conference crown.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad