Oklahoma City Thunder: Title hopes might depend on Kendrick Perkins' long-term health
The Thunder big man played against Atlanta but only after he tested an ankle he injured Friday against Portland.
Videoview all videos
Nov 4Kevin Martin scores 28 points off the bench, but the...
Photoview all 29 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But Brooks also is banking on Serge Ibaka sliding over one spot in select situations. Nick Collison has manned the center spot, too, and frequently does in small-ball lineups such as the one Brooks trotted out for nearly 4 1/2 minutes early in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 104-95 loss to the Hawks.
During that stretch, Brooks employed Eric Maynor, Kevin Martin, Thabo Sefolosha, Kevin Durant and Collison and later replaced Maynor with Russell Westbrook. Those small ball minutes ended up being a plus-1 for the Thunder in the plus-minus category. Not bad on this ragged night of ball.
At some point, that might need to be the solution. For now, Brooks continues to throw out Thabeet, perhaps attempting to build his confidence early so he might be able to depend on him if need be late.
“We just feel that we have someone that can be a really good player for us,” Brooks said of Thabeet. “What he has done in the preseason; he's an exceptional worker. He covers a lot of distance with his size and length. And he's a pretty good athlete. But I like what he does. He's only going to get (more) confident. How we play I think can help him. He's a guy that can improve as we improve as the season goes on.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 101343Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13633Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10711Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9528OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7731How to help tornado victims
- 7199Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area