Oklahoma City Thunder's Russell Westbrook injures eye in win over Suns
In the second quarter of the Thunder's 114-96 victory over Phoenix on Monday night, Suns forward Luis Scola inadvertently elbowed OKC All-Star point guard Russell Westbrook above the right eye.
Photoview all 18 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
This was the second straight year the Thunder defeated the Suns on New Year's Eve.
OKC is 5-0 on Dec. 31 games with previous victories coming against Golden State in 2008, Utah in 2009 and Atlanta in 2010.
The Thunder committed a season-low five turnovers Monday. The previous season low was 10. OKC came in averaging 16.0 turnovers per game (29th in NBA). … Monday was the 64th consecutive home sellout in the regular season for the Thunder and the 83rd straight sellout including the postseason. … OKC outscored the Suns 50-34 in the paint and 15-6 in fast-break points. The teams tied 16-16 in second-chance points. … The Thunder plays Brooklyn next on Wednesday. The Nets were outscored 30-5 in the third quarter of a 104-73 loss at San Antonio on Monday.
Three-time scoring champ Kevin Durant on how Thunder teammates playfully kid with each other in the locker room: “Man, we joke about everything on this team. I came in here with all my (Washington) Redskins gear on (Monday morning). Perk and Russell were talking so much trash on me. We joke about everything — clothes, missed layups, missed dunks, all that stuff.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims