Oklahoma City toddler who drowned was left briefly unattended by baby sitter
Oklahoma City police have identified a child who drowned in a bathtub Monday as Henry McBride, 1. While the death looks to be an accident, investigators will wait for a report from the state medical examiner's office to determine whether criminal charges are warranted.
The toddler who drowned in a bathtub Monday in northwest Oklahoma City was left unattended briefly by his baby sitter, police said Tuesday.
Police identified the child as Henry McBride, 1.
Henry was in the bathtub with a sibling when the baby sitter left to prepare a bottle, Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow said. When she returned, the child had gone under the water and was unresponsive.
Police consider the death an accident, but will wait for the medical examiner's report to determine whether criminal charges could be warranted, Wardlow said. Police have not identified the baby sitter, but said she is 54.
Police were called about 2:45 p.m. to the home in the 800 block of NW 39.
The child was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The Oklahoma Child Death Review Board reviewed 127 accidental child deaths in 2010, including 25 drownings, said Lisa Rhoades, program manager for the board.
Of the 25 deaths reviewed, 13 were children ages 2 and younger. The 2010 data is the most recent available, she said.
The board reviews the deaths under the auspices of the Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15772Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12083Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10914OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9909Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9575Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8649Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8648Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated