Oklahoma City Zoo sets new attendance record
The Oklahoma City Zoo broke its previous attendance record by nearly 7,000 visitors in the fiscal year that ended June 30.
The turnstiles at the Oklahoma City Zoo received a workout over the last fiscal year as the zoo set an all-time attendance record.
Between July 1, 2011, and June 30 of this year, there were 989,622 visitors to the zoo. That's 6,901 more than the previous fiscal year, which was also a record.
But unlike the previous fiscal year, there were no new major exhibits or attractions added, zoo Executive Director Dwight Scott said.
“Typically in our industry when you have an attendance record, it's due to the opening of something new,” Scott said. “This year we didn't open one and we beat the previous record.”
Scott said the mild winter was a contributing factor, along with the arrival of several new residents. In April 2011, Malee the elephant was born and her first birthday party was a big draw in April of this year. The zoo also added Rex, a male Asian elephant, to its collection in late 2011 and opened a giraffe feeding experience for visitors in September.
There also are some residual benefits from the opening of the elephant exhibit in March 2011. That facility is the largest in the country for Asian elephants and has become popular.
“I think we might be still riding the wave from some of that,” Scott said. “We have a lot of momentum with the community. If you compare our attendance with the size of our metro area, we have a high saturation rate of visitors. I think we were 11th in the country in terms of saturation among zoos. That's an incredible fact.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister