Share “Oklahoma City's four original parks are...”

Oklahoma City's four original parks are still there for visitors

Once named Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest parks, Oklahoma City's four original parks are named for historical figures and local contributors and called Lincoln, Will Rogers, Trosper and Woodson parks.
BY MARY PHILLIPS mphillips@opubco.com Modified: August 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm •  Published: August 5, 2013
Advertisement

We, the citizens of Oklahoma City, owe our park system to some far-thinking people at the beginning of the 20th century.

Grand Boulevard, the Boulevard Beautiful, was envisioned to encircle the city with four anchoring parks, one in each of the four quadrants.

The city, of course, outgrew Grand Boulevard as a boundary, but the four parks are still serving citizens today, offering green space, golf courses, swimming pools, gardens and more.

The parks were originally named for their locations, Northeast Park, Northwest Park, Southeast Park and Southwest Park.

Over the years, the parks received the names we know them by today.

Sometime before 1911, Southeast Park was named Trosper Park for the family that homesteaded the area at Eastern Avenue and SE 29.

Trosper Park has a golf course, an archery range and bicycle and walking trails.

In 1918, Northeast Park was renamed Lincoln Park at the request of the Grant post of the G.A.R. “Grand Army of the Republic” on the anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln Park is home to a golf course, and the Oklahoma City Zoo was built on its grounds.

Continue reading this story on the...