Oklahoma City's four original parks are still there for visitors

Once named Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest parks, Oklahoma City's four original parks are named for historical figures and local contributors and called Lincoln, Will Rogers, Trosper and Woodson parks.
BY MARY PHILLIPS mphillips@opubco.com Modified: August 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm •  Published: August 5, 2013
Advertisement
;

Will Rogers, Oklahoma's and the nation's beloved humorist, died in an Alaskan airplane crash in 1935.

In June 1936, City Manager Orval Mosier suggested the name of Northwest Park be changed to Will Rogers Park.

The park, with its rose gardens and flower beds located at Portland Avenue and NW 36, still bears Rogers' name.

Southwest Park at May Avenue and SW 29 was the last to be renamed.

The Oklahoman announced on Sept. 7, 1938, that Southwest Park would be renamed “in honor of Dave S. Woodson, late Capitol Hill real estate man and civic leader.

Summer is nearly over, but there is still time to visit one of the many parks the city has to offer.

Read “The Archivist” online at blog.NewsOK.com/archivist.