H: ° L: °,
Ex-Oklahoma County detention officer accused of assaulting inmate in handcuffs, shackles
Travis Ingram, 22, of Yukon, is accused of throwing a handcuffed inmate to the ground and choking him. The former Oklahoma County detention officer previously was arrested on a domestic violence complaint involving his girlfriend.
A former Oklahoma County detention officer is accused of assaulting an inmate who was handcuffed and shackled, court records show.
Travis Ingram, 22, of Yukon, was arrested last week on a complaint of aggravated assault and battery, according to a probable cause affidavit filed Monday in Oklahoma County District Court.
Ingram, a former senior detention officer with the sheriff's department, is accused of assaulting inmate Roman Johnson about 7 p.m. July 19 inside the county jail.
He was fired Thursday after an investigation into the assault, which was recorded by jail cameras, Sheriff John Whetsel said Monday in a statement.
“Our system of checks and balances worked even though the inmate never reported the incident,” Whetsel said. “Our policy requires the internal review of every use of force incident. This type of behavior by any employee is not, and will never be tolerated. This is totally contrary to their training and the professionalism and character we require of our employees.”
A sheriff's investigator wrote in the affidavit that Ingram threw Johnson to the ground on at least two separate occasions, and “put his hand around the throat and choked inmate Johnson, whose hands were handcuffed behind his back and both his feet in leg shackles,”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14891OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9440Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6703Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6232Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6155Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6060Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4124As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in