Oklahoma crime briefs for Feb. 8, 2013
Oklahoma crime briefs, Feb. 8
Indictments issued in bomb plot
An Illinois man accused of plotting to destroy 48 Ottawa County churches with Molotov cocktails was indicted in federal court, assistant U.S. Attorney Matt Cyran said Thursday. Gregory Arthur Weiler II, 24, of Elk Grove Village, Ill., was arraigned Wednesday in federal court in Tulsa in connection with possession of an “incendiary bomb,” according to court documents. Weiler is accused of having handwritten notes in his motel room listing two Fairland and 46 Miami churches and how to make Molotov cocktails, according to an Ottawa County arrest affidavit. A Miami Legacy Inn & Suite maintenance man had reported finding a green military duffel bag containing 50 apparent Molotov cocktails and other explosive materials and items.
SHEILA STOGSDILL, FOR THE OKLAHOMAN
OKC man indicted in threats
A federal grand jury has indicted an Oklahoma City man accused of posting online threats to commit acts of violence in the central Wyoming city of Casper. Federal officials say Glenn Allen Kirkham authored a Jan. 14 online message board post that threatened to employ nontraditional weapons to prove that a “high score” could be achieved without assault rifles. The message mentioned Casper but did not specify a target or location. Kirkham told investigators the post was a “work of artistic falsehood,” court records show. Kirkham is charged with transmitting a threat by interstate communications. The offense could carry a sentence of up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Kirkham is free on a $5,000 unsecured bond.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister