Oklahoma crime briefs, Oct. 19

A grand jury is to investigate actions of Rogers County officials
Published: October 18, 2013
Advertisement
;

Crime briefs

Oklahoma City

Rogers County inquiry ordered

Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt said he has directed the state's multicounty grand jury to inquiry allegations of wrongdoing by officials in Rogers County. The investigation will include topics in a grand jury petition that was signed by more than 8,000 Rogers County residents, as well as issues raised by District Attorney Janice Steidley. The petition was dismissed last week after a judge ruled the summary in the petition did not use language approved by the court. The state's multicounty grand jury is an investigative group with authority to look into allegations of criminal activity and official misconduct by public officials. Pruitt's office administers the grand jury, which has statewide jurisdiction.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Man arrested after porn report

An Oklahoma City man was arrested on a complaint of child pornography after the victim's father said he would turn the man in unless he was paid. Rusty Dewayne Warren, 22, was arrested about 10 p.m. Wednesday on complaints of soliciting sexual conduct with a minor and possession of child pornography. Police report they found three photos of an underage girl in sexual poses on Warren's phone. Warren told police he had been texting with a 15-year-old girl from Georgia whom he met online. Warren said the girl's father found out they were communicating and threatened to call the police unless Warren put money on a prepaid debit card for him. After looking at Warren's phone messages, police officers determined he continued messaging the girl in a sexual manner after she identified herself as a 15-year-old. Warren was taken to the Oklahoma County jail. His bail is set at $20,000.

ADAM KEMP,

STAFF WRITER

Muskogee

Defendant gets life sentence

The last defendant charged in the 2011 shooting death of a Fort Gibson teenager has been sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Fredrick Watson Jr., 20, was sentenced Thursday for the killing of Ryan Satterfield, 17, who was shot to death during a robbery on Nov. 23, 2011. Authorities said Watson wasn't the gunman but participated in the robbery that led to Satterfield's death. Watson was convicted in August of felony first-degree murder. Five others have been convicted or pleaded guilty in the death and are serving sentences ranging from 30 years in prison to life in prison without parole. Watson's attorney, Stephen Cale, said he would appeal. He had pushed for a suspended sentence that would require Watson to serve 25 years in prison. During Thursday's hearing, Watson addressed Satterfield's family, including his mother, Michelle Satterfield. “Mrs. Satterfield, I'd like to apologize,” he said. “I know I can't bring your son back ... I'd like to apologize for my part.” Michelle Satterfield told Watson she had forgiven him a long time ago. “It still doesn't change what happened,” she said. “I appreciate what you said and that you looked me in the eye. It means a lot.”

| |

NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.
Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Check out the Thunder postseason playlist
  2. 2
    VIDEO: Blake Griffin dumps water on a fan
  3. 3
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes calls drug suspension unfair
  4. 4
    Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
  5. 5
    Peaches Geldof Funeral to Be Held on Easter Monday
+ show more