Oklahoma earthquake: State survey lowers magnitude to 4.7
The Oklahoma Geological Survey reduced its rating Thursday of Wednesday's earthquake near Norman to magnitude 4.7 and said the source of the quake was likely natural.
The Oklahoma Geological Survey said continued analysis of Wednesday's earthquake data shows the source likely was natural and occurred on a previously unknown fault line.
Videoview all videos
Oct 14The Oklahoma Geological Survey reduced its rating of the...
Oct 13Provided security surveillance video from three different...
Oct 13Watch reactions from people in downtown Oklahoma City who...
Oct 13A magnitude 5.1 earthquake shook central Oklahoma at 9:06...
Photoview all 9 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The survey also reduced its rating of the earthquake to magnitude 4.7 from the latest Wednesday estimate of 5.1, research seismologist Austin Holland said. Officials had anticipated the reduction based on the stark difference between its rating and the magnitude 4.3 rating given by the U.S. Geological Survey.
Holland said dealing with numerous calls from government officials, the media and state residents also limited the amount of time seismologists had to review the data Wednesday.
The Oklahoma survey and the U.S. survey use different equipment at different locations to measure different data sets, resulting in numbers that can vary from each other and don't mean the same thing, Holland said. The measurement the U.S. survey used for its rating, moment magnitude (Mw), records the low-frequency energy released in the earthquake. The Oklahoma survey rating (mbLg) measures the amplitude of surface waves that people can feel.
"They both provide relative measures of the earthquake," Holland said. "They're just making different assumptions about the earth."
Holland said the depth of Wednesday's quake, about eight miles, points to a natural source.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments