Oklahoma Education Board member criticized for comment to pregnant woman
Oklahoma Board of Education member Herb Rozell, a former state senator, commented that the Education Department's legislative liaison would be “worthless” to them if she has baby in May.
State Board of Education member Herb Rozell on Thursday said a pregnant woman hired as the legislative liaison for the Education Department would be “worthless” to them if she has her baby in May.
Videoview all videos
Jan 28What's happening at the state Education Department is...
Jan 27The state Board of Education sparred today with new state...
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The comment was made during newly elected state schools Superintendent Janet Barresi's first meeting. She attempted to have five members of her transition team approved by the board, but she was met with opposition, and the employees were quizzed about their qualifications.
Immediately after the meeting, Rozell's comment was condemned by Gov. Mary Fallin, Barresi and a number of lawmakers.
“As a pregnant woman myself who ran for the state Legislature in 1990 and had a baby between sessions, I can say women can be pregnant and get the job done,” Fallin said during a news conference at the state Capitol. “Shame on them for making fun of a pregnant woman. It's really disgusting to hear those kinds of comments being made.”
State Sen. John Ford, R-Bartlesville, and Sen. Clark Jolley, R-Edmond, called for Rozell to publicly apologize and resign from the post he was appointed to last year by former Gov. Brad Henry.
“I thought it was archaic, misogynistic and deplorable,” Jolley said.
When the board began to consider hiring Jessica Russell as the department's legislative liaison, Barresi asked if Russell could remain seated because she was nervous and also pregnant.
The board agreed, and board member Tim Gilpin asked several questions about Russell's qualifications for the job.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates