Oklahoma education news in brief
OSU researcher wins award
An Oklahoma State University researcher won the 2013 Young Investigator Award from Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society. Michael Tobler was honored for his scientific achievements, interdisciplinary research and communicating with the public. He won a $5,000 prize. Tobler studies how animals adapt in extreme environments. He joined the OSU staff in 2010 and teaches courses in evolution and introduction to fish biology to upper-level undergraduate and graduate students.
Foundation adds to board
The Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence Board of Trustees has new members. They are: Jari Askins, Duncan; Chief Bill John Baker, Tahlequah; Stan Brownlee, Enid; Randy Beutler, Weatherford; Marlo Chip Carter, Oklahoma City; Patrice Douglas, Edmond; Beth Stigler Johnson, Lawton; John Gaberino, Tulsa; Sanjay Meshri, Tulsa; Paul Meyer, Oklahoma City; Steven R. Mitchell, Tulsa; Kathy Taylor, Tulsa; Duffy Turner, Jenks and Elizabeth White, Jenks. The foundation honors academic excellence in Oklahoma public schools.
State chooses testing company
The state Board of Education voted to hire CTB/McGraw Hill as the provider for state tests for all Oklahoma students in third through eighth grades, as well as benchmark exams in reading, math and writing. The company will receive $8.9 million for the first year and $28 million total over four years. The contract must still be approved by the state Central Services Department.
Staff writer CARRIE COPPERNOLL
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit