Oklahoma education news in brief
EDUCATION News BRIEFS
Delta scholarships given
The Delta Dental of Oklahoma Oral Health Foundation has named the winners of the 2012 University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry Scholarships. The recipients will each receive $5,000. They are Lauren Bowers, of Shawnee; David Gore, of Bartlesville; Philip Gray, of Edmond; Jennifer Headrick, of Mooreland; Manoj Jain, of Claremore; Priyanka Kulkarni, of Mumbai, India; Amy Liu, of Wuhan, China; Andrew Minnigh, of Shawnee; Melissa Nguyen, of Oklahoma City; Brett Wilson, of Burns Flat; Lauren Yeary, of Norman; and Heather Zweifel, of Sand Springs.
OSU professors honored
Two Oklahoma State University mathematicians have been named 2013 American Mathematical Society Fellows. Math professors William Jaco and David Wright are two of about 1,100 honorees worldwide who were selected for the first year of the fellowship program.
OCU will host readings
Oklahoma City University will host two free literary readings downtown next month. Faculty members will read at 6 p.m. Jan. 3 at the Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library, 300 Park Ave. The program's visiting writers — Lan Samantha Chang and Chad Sweeney — will read at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Residence Inn, 400 E Reno. The events are coordinated through the Red Earth Master's of Fine Arts program.
Students make donations
The Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma has reported that the eighth annual Students Against Hunger food and fund drive has raised more than 203,000 pounds of food and nearly $60,000 for hungry Oklahoma families. Nearly 200 schools participated statewide. The three top fundraising schools were Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School, Heritage Hall Middle School and Earl Harris Elementary School in Bethany.
CARRIE COPPERNOLL, STAFF WRITER
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers