Oklahoma educators react to Connecticut massacre
Local educators react to the news more than two dozen people were killed in a school shooting in Connecticut.
Videoview all videos
Dec 14A man opened fire inside the Connecticut elementary...
Photoview all 47 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It's one of those situations where you never can do enough.
Norman schools superintendent about preparing for school shootings
Most school districts have partnerships with local law enforcement, fire departments and sheriff's offices, said Kathleen Kennedy of the Oklahoma School Public Relations Association and a spokeswoman for Oklahoma City Public Schools.
For example, Oklahoma City Public Schools has partnerships with the Oklahoma City Police Department and the Oklahoma County sheriff's office, Kennedy said.
Edmond Public Schools partners with the Edmond Police Department and the sheriff's office, as well, spokeswoman Susan Parks-Schlepp said. Edmond schools practice lockdown drills once a semester, she said.
The community must also be alert, Tulsa Superintendent Keith Ballard said in a statement.
“This event underscores the importance of being ever vigilant and being aware of any unusual or suspect behavior and reporting it to police immediately,” Ballard said.
Tulsa Public Schools, the school district's police officers and the Tulsa Police Department train often, and protocols for a variety of emergencies are in place, Ballard said.
“It is the top priority of all principals and site administrators to maintain a safe learning environment,” he said, “and we will do everything in our power to ensure our children and staff remain safe.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in