Oklahoma Elections: U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn opens up huge early lead in re-election bid
Retired professor Jim Rogers, of Midwest City, leading Democratic primary to face Coburn
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn topped 90 percent of the vote in the Republican primary Tuesday in his bid for a second and final term.
Videoview all videos
Jul 28Lt. Governor Jari Askins wins Democratic gubernatorial...
Jul 28Watch the video.
Jul 28Watch his concession of the race.
Jul 27Mary Fallin said tonight she is glad to win Oklahoma's...
Jul 28Oklahoma voters cast their ballots in the state's primary...
Photoview all 52 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
On the Democratic side, retired professor and perennial candidate Jim Rogers, of Midwest City, won easily.
With almost all the votes in, Coburn had 90 percent; Republicans Evelyn Rogers, of Tulsa, had 6 percent and Lou Spring had 4 percent.
On the Democratic side, Jim Rogers had 66 percent of the vote, and Oklahoma City attorney Mark Myles had 34 percent.
Coburn, R-Muskogee, pledged in 2004 that he would serve only two terms in the Senate, where he has built a national reputation for his efforts to cut government waste and block new spending.
No well-known or wealthy Democrats felt the urge to take on Coburn, a 62-year-old physician who trounced well-known and wealthy Republicans in 2004 before easily beating well-
Coburn was one of the leading opponents of the health care reform bill this year, and he was chosen to serve on President Barack Obama's deficit-reduction commission.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad