Oklahoma ex-legislators' bribery trial set for Oct. 21
Former Oklahoma state Rep. Randy Terrill and former state Sen. Debbe Leftwich are set to face trial Oct. 21 in their alleged bribery case.
The bribery trial for two former legislators has been scheduled for October but their defense attorneys want a judge to dismiss the case before then.
Former state Rep. Randy Terrill, 43, of Moore, is charged with offering a bribe to a candidate to withdraw. Former state Sen. Debbe Leftwich, 61, of Oklahoma City, is charged with soliciting and/or accepting a bribe to withdraw.
“I think it's pretty clear that they don't have a case,” Terrill's attorney, Chris Eulberg, said of prosecutors.
Terrill's attorney already has filed two legal motions asking the trial judge for a dismissal. He argues, for instance, that prosecutors have no evidence whatsoever that Terrill ever offered or gave anything to Leftwich for any reason.
Eulberg calls the prosecution paperwork explaining the charge “merely a rambling collection of vague assertions that do not rise to the level of a public offense.”
Leftwich's attorney, Robert McCampbell, plans to file his dismissal requests next week.
October date is set
Oklahoma County District Judge Cindy Truong met with a prosecutor and the defense attorneys Wednesday to schedule the trial.
The jury trial was set to begin Oct. 21.
Truong was assigned to the case Wednesday after the original trial judge, Glenn Jones, took himself off it.
Jones did so because his wife and Leftwich's attorney are law partners at the same large law firm in Oklahoma City. “I am disqualified from the case,” Jones said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in