Oklahoma football: Allowed sacks not just responsibility of Sooners' offensive line
NORMAN — Oklahoma offensive lineman Adam Shead shifted his weight back to his right leg. His eyes darted from one media member to the next.
He was thinking about when he, or his offensive line brethren, lets a defender through and that guy makes his way to sack the quarterback.
Videoview all videos
Sep 20Jenni Carlson and Jason Kersey talk about three things to...
Sep 20Jenni Carlson and Stephanie Kuzydym talk about an area of...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It's a problem the Sooners are aware of, not just how many sacks they've allowed this season (six so far), but how many Kansas State's defense — OU's opponent on Saturday — has earned in 2012.
The Wildcats have tallied eight sacks for 46 yards, and five of those sacks came in their 52-13 victory against Miami in Week 2.
“That's kind of one of those things that it's like ... It's horrible to think about.” Shead said. “It feels bad.
“I never want that to happen.”
Then he bent his knees and lowered his 6-foot-4, 307-pound frame closer to the floor and knocked on the wood.
The Sooners' six allowed sacks are a little more than half of what OU allowed all of last year, but coach Bob Stoops and offensive coordinator Josh Heupel made it clear this week that those sacks aren't just on the offensive line.
“For instance, we have the play-action pass down by the goal line,” Stoops said of a play that led to an eventual sack on Landry Jones against Florida A&M. “It's two reads. You've got the tight end and the fullback. You either throw it to them or you throw it in the stands, instead of turning around and going backwards and you run right into somebody — that's not the line's fault.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments