Oklahoma football: Analyzing the Sooners' first depth chart
Oklahoma released an ‘unofficial' depth chart and Jason Kersey offers his thoughts on a few things.
NORMAN — Oklahoma released an “unofficial” depth chart on the athletic department's official website. No big surprises, but here are some thoughts on the first depth chart we've seen from the program since the spring.
Videoview all videos
Aug 27OU's senior quarterback is excited about the potential...
Aug 27OU's head coach steps to the podium, as the Sooners...
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
* I was a little surprised to see Michael Onuoha listed as Chuka Ndulue's sole backup, and Rashod Favors or Charles Tapper as R.J. Washington's. Indications really seemed to be that Tapper was ahead of Onuoha, but maybe that isn't the case. Both true freshmen have impressed coaches and will earn playing time, so I don't know how much we should really read into this. But it was noticeable to me.
* At middle linebacker, Tom Wort's backup is listed as either redshirt freshman Frank Shannon or Jaydan Bird. Same thing at weakside backer, with Aaron Franklin or Joseph Ibiloye. Again, my impression had been that seniors Bird and Ibiloye were the solid backups, but I think that speaks to the strong camps that Shannon and Franklin had.
* No strongside backer listed on this depth chart, but that isn't really a surprise. We knew that Mike Stoops loves to play with five defensive backs. Junior Gabe Lynn, much maligned for last year's struggles against Texas Tech, is the starter at nickelback, with Julian Wilson and Kass Everett behind him.
* True freshman Gary Simon is listed as Aaron Colvin's backup at right corner, and both senior Lamar Harris and true freshman Zack Sanchez are listed as backups to Demontre Hurst on the left side. Simon isn't a surprise at all; he's long been expected to be in the rotation. But Sanchez, who Stoops said Monday should get playing time, must've had a really strong camp to be listed on the depth chart.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in