Oklahoma football: As usual, Sooners go on the road in 'storm' prevention mode
STORMING THE FIELD — If the Oklahoma Sooners lose on the road, mayhem usually breaks out. The conditions exist for another possible outbreak Saturday in Stillwater.
Videoview all videos
Dec 1In the final of a five-part series on the Best of Bedlam,...
Nov 30In the fouth in a five-part series on the Best of Bedlam,...
Nov 30In the third in a five-part series on the Best of Bedlam,...
Nov 28In the second in a five-part series on the Best of...
Nov 27In the first in a five-part series on the Best of Bedlam,...
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“All of Baylor, and I'm pretty sure all of Waco, was crazy that night,” Stranahan said. “As my friends and I were walking, cars would honk and people would cheer when they saw anybody wearing green and gold. Everybody was united.
“Personally, I still can't get over that game. I get excited just thinking about it.”
Naturally, the moment has the opposite effect on the losing team.
“There's lot of things going through your head,” OU center Ben Habern said. “You're frustrated you lost. You kind of just want to get off the field, honestly.”
But that can be tough to do. At Baylor, it's an awkward path as it is to get to the visitors' locker room. Then add in a few thousand revelers, blocking the way to the descending staircase at midfield.
“I wouldn't have had a problem going over and shaking Baylor's hands or anything, but, with all the fans rushing, you get in a pile and you don't know what's going to happen,” Habern said. “It's one of those times when you just want to get off the field.”
Not that they need added motivation in Bedlam, but avoiding a similar scene in Stillwater would be a proper goal Saturday for OU.
“It was my first time being bum-rushed by fans,” Hurst said of Waco. “It's not real fun.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims