Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops, former assistant Kevin Sumlin to match wits in Cotton Bowl
Oklahoma's upcoming Cotton Bowl clash with Texas A&M marks the 18th time for Bob Stoops and one of his former assistants to match wits, and the first such battle with Kevin Sumlin.
NORMAN — Oklahoma's upcoming Cotton Bowl clash with Texas A&M marks the 18th time for Bob Stoops and one of his former assistants to match wits, and the first such battle with Kevin Sumlin.
Videoview all videos
Dec 20Brad writes, “Is Adrian Peterson OU's best NFL player...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It's really not different,” Stoops said when asked about games against his former assistants. “Kevin and I are great friends. ... In the end, once you get to playing, you're playing.
“It's something you've got to go do.”
It's something Stoops has done in all but two of his 14 seasons that he's been Oklahoma's coach; he only went through 1999, his first season, and 2011 without meeting an opposing head coach who was once on his OU staff.
The Jan. 4 Cotton Bowl will be a little different, though, as it is the first time Stoops and a former assistant face off in a nonconference game.
Ten of the 17 prior meetings with former assistants came in Oklahoma's annual Big 12 South game against Texas Tech, led from 2000-09 by Mike Leach, Stoops' first offensive coordinator. Stoops was 7-3 against Leach's Red Raiders.
Mark Mangino left Oklahoma to become Kansas' head coach in 2002, and went 0-4 against his former boss.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M