Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops, Joe Taylor coached together in Hula Bowl
Former Heritage Hall star Sterling Shepard hopes role will increase as season progresses
Bob Stoops and Florida A&M coach Joe Taylor have a history.
They coached together in the 2002 Hula Bowl, along Steve Spurrier and Dick Tomey.
Videoview all videos
Sep 6Tony Jefferson and Demontre Hurst talk about the changes...
Sep 6Jenni Carlson and OU beat writer Stephanie Kuzydym talk...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
A picture of the four coaches, coaching in their sandals, hangs in Stoops' office.
“That was the one time I got to do that, and it was pretty special,” Stoops said. “Joe's a great guy and runs an excellent program. They've got a bunch of good athletes as you watch them play.
“You can tell they've done a good job recruiting and are very sound in the things they do.”
Taylor became FAMU's coach in 2008, after 16 seasons as coach at Hampton (Va.).
SHEPARD SEES FIRST ACTION
True freshman receiver Sterling Shepard had limited action Saturday at UTEP, and the former Heritage Hall standout said he thinks his role will increase in the Sooners' offense as he gains more experience.
“The first time I ran out there was really exciting,” said Shepard, whose late father, Derrick, was a receiver on OU's 1985 national championship team.
“You've got a lot of stuff flying through your head, and you've just gotta remain calm and try to play the game. I tried to do what I could for however long I was in there.”
Shepard said any future playing time this season is up to co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel.
“I think it may increase,” Shepard said. “We'll just have to see. Coach Heupel knows what he's doing.
“Whenever I go in, I'm gonna be ready and I'm just gonna try to make plays. That's how I'm gonna be able to get on the field even more.”
HURST PLEASED WITH SECONDARY
Senior cornerback Demontre Hurst said he's pleased with the overall effort of the Sooner secondary last week against UTEP.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena