Oklahoma football: Breaking down Bob Stoops' matchups with former assistants
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is 13-4 against his former assistants who became head coaches. Here is a look at each of Stoops' games against his former assistant coaches.
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is 13-4 against his former assistants who became head coaches.
He faced Mike Leach, his first Oklahoma offensive coordinator who left for Texas Tech, 10 times between 2000 and 2009. Stoops was 7-3 in those games.
Videoview all videos
Dec 20Brad writes, “Is Adrian Peterson OU's best NFL player...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Stoops was 4-0 against Mark Mangino, who replaced Leach as OU's offensive coordinator and was Kansas' coach from 2003-2009, and 2-1 against former co-defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, now Nebraska's coach.
Here is a look at each of Stoops' games against his former assistant coaches.
Nov. 18, 2000: at Oklahoma 27, Texas Tech 13
Mike Leach's first team picked off Josh Heupel twice and pulled within eight points of the eventual-national champs midway through the fourth quarter.
Nov. 17, 2001: Oklahoma 30, at Texas Tech 13
OU never trailed, Nate Hybl threw three touchdowns and Tech scored three points after halftime.
Nov. 23, 2002: at Oklahoma 60, Texas Tech 15
Tech arrived with Big 12 South championship hopes; they were quickly destroyed. Kliff Kingsbury was sacked six times and intercepted twice. Quentin Griffin rushed for 207 yards and three TDs.
Nov. 22, 2003: Oklahoma 56, at Texas Tech 25
Leach's squad boasted the nation's top-ranked offense entering the game. Sooners RB Kejuan Jones scored five TDs; Tech QB B.J. Symons threw the same number of interceptions.
Oct. 2, 2004: at Oklahoma 28, Texas Tech 13
Adrian Peterson rushed for 151 yards and three TDs; Red Raiders QB Sonny Cumbie threw three interceptions.
Oct. 23, 2004: at Oklahoma 41, Kansas 10
Peterson became the quickest freshman to gain 1,000 yards in a season; Jason White threw for 389 yards and four TDs in OU's first game against former offensive coordinator Mark Mangino.
Oct. 15, 2005: Oklahoma 19, Kansas 3 (at Kansas City, Mo.)
Kansas QB Brian Luke threw interceptions on two of his first three pass attempts, leading to 10 quick OU points. Donta Hickson led OU's rushing attack because of the hobbled Adrian Peterson's injured ankle.
Nov. 19, 2005: at Texas Tech 23, Oklahoma 21
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit