Oklahoma football: Cotton Bowl officials confident Super Bowl problems will not arise again at Cowboys Stadium
Ice storm, missing seats are issues the Cotton Bowl wants to avoid if it wants to host future national championship football game
Videoview all videos
Dec 30Aggies freshman quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner...
Dec 30Johnny Manziel and the Aggies met the media on Sunday....
Photoview all 17 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
I interviewed a handful of the affected fans, who described the thousands of dollars they had spent on transportation to Dallas, hotel accommodations and the tickets, many of which were purchased secondhand and well above face value.
Several angry ticket holders filed a class-action lawsuit against the NFL; nearly two years later, the suit remains largely unsettled.
The North Texas Super Bowl Committee has tried and failed to be seriously considered for Super Bowls in the near future. Sites through the 2015 game are set, and in October, the NFL announced finalists for the 2016 and 2017 Super Bowls.
Cowboys Stadium wasn't one of them.
Although a timetable for deciding semifinal and title-game sites hasn't been set, the Cotton Bowl is widely expected to be in the semifinal rotation. But when bidding for an event like the national championship game, any North Texas organizing committee will certainly have to answer for the 2011 Super Bowl's problems.
“Part of that was outside of their control ... the weather, some of the involvement with the NFL, and that's a whole different story,” said John Crawford, a past Cotton Bowl chairman and son-in-law of the bowl game's founder.
“The whole Cowboys organization has made great headway in trying to see how they cannot let those kinds of things occur again. ... Jerry and Stephen Jones are right on top of doing everything to make the crowd experience and the audience that comes to that stadium a once-in-a-lifetime event.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister