Oklahoma football: Damien Williams leads Sooners to 69-13 rout of Florida A&M
Videoview all videos
Sep 9OU junior running back Damien Williams sets a record for...
Sep 9Jason Kersey and Jenni Carlson discuss the huge win for...
Photoview all 68 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Williams’ quick start — he’s scored five touchdowns and rushed for 259 yards in his first two OU games — is especially impressive considering the Sooners’ offensive scheme is vastly different than anything Williams has ever been part of. Through high school and at Arizona Western, he ran in a slower-paced, more traditional offense as opposed to OU’s no-huddle attack.
But Williams, who led all junior-college backs last season in rushing yards at Arizona Western, has quickly picked up all aspects of OU’s scheme, including pass-blocking.
“I’m getting used to the fast-paced offense,” Williams said. “You’ve gotta be if you want to play. Everything is going as planned, so I feel like I’m doing well.”
Whaley — playing at home for the first time since last year’s season-ending ankle injury — fumbled with 12:58 left in the first half and didn’t see the field again until the third quarter.
“Dom hasn’t taken care of the ball the last two weeks,” Heupel said. “Obviously we as a football team need to take care of the ball. We had three of them on the ground last week, another one tonight. You can’t play winning football if you’re gonna do that.”
Williams said the running backs, despite the competition for carries, are still pulling for each other, and wouldn’t say he deserves to take over as the Sooners’ starting running back.
“I don’t feel like I deserve anything right now,” Williams said. “I just need to keep playing hard and things will come how they do.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46837Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15035Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9615Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8305Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8125Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7398Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7351Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena