H: ° L: °,
Oklahoma football: Defensive back Bennett Okotcha leaves team
OU FOOTBALL — Redshirt freshman defensive back Bennett Okotcha has left the Sooners program. Okotcha's high school coach said it was a clash of personalities and the departures of the coaches that recruited Okotcha that led to his departure.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
So the high school coach told the player to talk with his college coach and share his feelings. Sooners coach Bob Stoops declined to comment on anything about Okotcha when asked on Tuesday, saying he’d like to focus on the players that are still on the team.
“You know, there’s just a lot of difference in how you deal with kids from college to high school,” McBride said. “It’s just a lot different … especially with a national team like Oklahoma.
“It’s a big, big business, and there’s a lot of pressure and a lot of things pushing you to be better and achieve and all that. I just think that there maybe were some personality conflicts with some that he just had a hard time dealing with.”
Now the redshirt freshman will join his brother Evans, who is a running back, to play at Texas — San Antonio.
Okotcha was a three-star recruit out of Texas and the No. 42 cornerback in the country, according to Scout.com. In 2009, he made two interceptions, caught nine passes for 142 yards and scored a touchdown.
The player and his high school coach last talked on Monday.
“Honestly, he’s a little relieved,” McBride said. “I talked to him the whole way and said, ‘Tough it out and ride it out,’ but I’m not in his shoes on a day-to-day basis and I think he felt real relieved and is ready to turn the next page and go to the next page.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister