Oklahoma football: Former OU center Ben Habern knows what it's like to be Peyton Manning
Ben Habern underwent a surgery similar to the one Peyton Manning endured. But at a different position and in a different situation than Manning, he had to make a different choice. On Saturday, he'll walk on the field for Senior Day with his old teammates.
Videoview all videos
Nov 21OSU reporter John Helsley talks about the three things...
Nov 21Just in time for Bedlam, the OSU football team is hitting...
Nov 20OU prepares for Bedlam.
Nov 20OU's defense is addressed.
Nov 23Can OSU stop OU's offense? Can OU stop OSU's offense?
Photoview all 130 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He was actually cleared to play after his successful surgery, but he heard the doctor's words when he added ‘I wouldn't let you play if you were my kid.' And then he thought. All of his injuries — his ankle, his arm, his neck, his back — added up. His dreams of being an NFL player vanished.
Habern continued to go to a majority of practices. Never coaching, but offering his experience when centers Gabe Ikard and Ty Darlington needed a word. As the center, he knew the playbook and the reads better than the rest of the line.
“He's the smartest guy on the team,” punter Tress Way said, who is also one of Habern's roommates. “It couldn't happen to a better guy. It's just unfortunate. I'm so pumped he gets to be on the field and I can't wait to see what kind of ovation everybody gives him.”
After Habern made his decision at the start of the season, he told himself he needed to find something that he was both good at and loved.
“That was football,” Habern said.
That's why now he's looking at working for an athletic department and using his degree as part of the media relations and marketing team. Then again, he said he always could become a coach.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins