Oklahoma football: Gary Simon, Marquis Anderson no longer with OU football team
Cornerback Gary Simon and defensive tackle Marquis Anderson have left. Other reports say defensive tackle Damon Williams is also gone.
NORMAN — Cornerback Gary Simon and defensive tackle Marquis Anderson are no longer with Oklahoma's football team, an OU spokesman confirmed Sunday night.
Videoview all videos
Feb 18Bedenbaugh officially joined Oklahoma's football staff as...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The news was first reported by SoonerScoop.com, the Rivals network site that covers OU.
The website reported Sunday that defensive tackle Damon Williams had left the team as well, but the spokesman couldn't confirm his departure.
Simon, who saw action in three games as a true freshman last season, was expected to compete for a starting position opposite senior cornerback Aaron Colvin.
Anderson, a redshirt freshman last fall, appeared in four games, recording five total tackles in reserve duty.
Williams redshirted as a true freshman in 2010, saw no game action in 2011 and in 2012, only appeared in the Sooners' 52-7 rout of Kansas, recording two tackles.
With Anderson and Williams apparently gone, Oklahoma is left with just three defensive tackles — junior Torrea Peterson, sophomore Jordan Phillips and redshirt freshman Jordan Wade — for spring football practices, which begin in early March.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort