Oklahoma football: Inside the Mike Stoops Factor
COMMENTARY — Mike Stoops' return as defensive coordinator has produced a better prepared, less hesitant Oklahoma defense. Exhibit A was the Sooners' performance versus Texas.
Videoview all videos
Oct 19Could the Sooners appear in the BCS title game?
Oct 19Oct. 19, 2012: Mike Sherman leads a Google Hangout...
Oct 18Jason Kersey provides context to the fast start of Damien...
Oct 18The Sooner defense has been playing well, specifically...
Oct 18Fitz: Landry Jones does not wear a wrapper on his arm to...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Granted, credit needs to go to the players for their dedication to study and film. They say more guys are spending more time preparing than the past few years. Part of that is because of the embarrassment of last season.
But part of it is Stoops.
He has taken the guesswork out of the game and put the defense in positions to be successful.
“You know we can narrow it down to what three plays they're running,” Sooner defensive tackle Jamarkus McFarland said. “You can pretty much be confident in where you're going and don't hesitate.
“People always want to look for an easy way out in a game. Like it's some kind of special formula to the game.”
It's not magic.
“I think we have a completely different attitude with what we're doing on the field,” Harris said. “Guys want to make those plays.”
And they're making them.
That's a direct result of Mike Stoops. Everyone knew he'd have an impact, but even program insiders are surprised just how much he has changed things.
He hasn't dramatically overhauled the scheme, but he has drastically altered the style.
Jenni Carlson: Jenni can be reached at (405) 475-4125. You can also like her at facebook.com/JenniCarlsonOK, follow her at twitter.com/jennicarlson_ok or view her personality page at newsok.com/jennicarlson.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion