Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell wrote book for 'personal satisfaction'
NORMAN — Jay Norvell got a call about two years ago from a publishing company, which wanted him to write a book detailing the necessary skills to play wide receiver.
Videoview all videos
Oct 16The Oklahoman's Jason Kersey talks about OU football...
Oct 16After the romp over Texas which players got game balls...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“At first I told my wife, ‘I've got no time to do this,'” Norvell remembered Tuesday after Oklahoma's football practice.
“She looked at me and said, ‘Are you crazy? When is anybody gonna ask you to write a book ever again?'”
So the Sooners' co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach decided to give it a shot. Norvell's final product, the 217-page, “Complete Wide Receiver,” will be available in bookstores by late October or early November.
“I did it over summer vacation the last couple of years,” Norvell said. “It's an exhausting process, but I'm really glad that I did it. I've been around a lot of good people, and I was able to share a lot of those stories in that book.”
Norvell said he got some help from some old friends — receiver Reggie Wayne and former coach Jim Mora — he worked with during his time with the Indianapolis Colts.
“I always wanted to write one; I think everybody does,” Norvell said. “I was really excited to get the opportunity. I didn't know it would come when it did.
“Someday, my son will look at it and say, ‘Gee, my dad wrote a book.' And that's really why I did it. It was kinda for personal satisfaction.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments