Oklahoma football: Jerry Montgomery joins OU staff as defensive line coach
Bob Stoops hired 33-year-old Jerry Montgomery to coach defensive linemen, making him Oklahoma's newest and youngest assistant coach. Montgomery, Michigan's defensive line coach the past two seasons, replaces former OU assistant Jackie Shipp.
NORMAN — Bob Stoops hired 33-year-old Jerry Montgomery to coach defensive linemen, making him Oklahoma's newest and youngest assistant coach.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Montgomery, Michigan's defensive line coach the past two seasons, replaces former OU assistant Jackie Shipp, who was fired earlier this month after 14 years on Stoops' staff.
An OU athletic department spokesman declined to comment, but a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed Montgomery's hiring to The Oklahoman.
The news of Montgomery's hire was first reported by GoBlueWolverine.com, the Scout network site covering Michigan.
Michigan sophomore nose tackle Ondre Pipkins tweeted about Montgomery on Saturday afternoon.
“Want to wish Coach Montgomery and his family luck at Oklahoma,” Pipkins tweeted. “He taught me a lot and I'll never forget the talks we had ... Love you coach.”
Before arriving at Michigan, Montgomery coached Wyoming defensive linemen for two seasons. The 2002 Iowa graduate has also worked at Northern Iowa and, before that, Iowa City West High School.
Currently, 34-year-old co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel is the Sooners' youngest assistant football coach.
Stoops fired three assistants earlier this month following Oklahoma's second straight 10-3 season. Offensive line coaches James Patton and Bruce Kittle joined Shipp in being dismissed.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims