Oklahoma football: Jerry Montgomery joins OU staff as defensive line coach
Bob Stoops hired 33-year-old Jerry Montgomery to coach defensive linemen, making him Oklahoma's newest and youngest assistant coach. Montgomery, Michigan's defensive line coach the past two seasons, replaces former OU assistant Jackie Shipp.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Former West Virginia assistant Bill Bedenbaugh was hired last week to coach the offensive line; a significant reason for Bedenbaugh's hire was his recruiting acumen, and Montgomery appears to possess strong skills in that department as well.
Montgomery played a key role in Michigan's back-to-back top-10 recruiting classes, and he didn't just recruit defensive linemen.
In the Wolverines' No. 5-ranked 2013 class, Montgomery helped recruit five-star prospect Derrick Green, the Richmond, Va., product considered by Rivals to be the nation's top running back.
He also was involved in the recruitment of four-star outside linebacker Mike McCray (Trotwood, Ohio), and four-star defensive tackle Henry Poggi (Baltimore).
Montgomery has apparently hit the ground running as an Oklahoma recruiter; 2014 four-star defensive end Andrew Williams, from Eagle's Landing Christian in McDonough, Ga., tweeted that Montgomery called to say he'd joined the OU staff.
Williams already holds several impressive Division I scholarship offers, including Montgomery's former employer, Michigan, as well as Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas A&M.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister