Oklahoma football: Justin Brown's transfer from Penn State worked out well for him and the Sooners
The last few whirlwind months turned out pretty well for Brown, who bolted for Norman in the aftermath of the Penn State child abuse scandal, and for Oklahoma, which added a talented, mature difference maker to a wide receiver group in need of one.
Videoview all videos
Dec 31Most attention will be focused on Texas A&M's freshman...
Dec 30Aggies freshman quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner...
Dec 30Johnny Manziel and the Aggies met the media on Sunday....
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
When Brown arrived in early August, Sooner co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel clearly saw the transfer's physical ability. But with transfers — particularly ones arriving in the abrupt, difficult fashion Brown did — coaches can never be 100 percent certain of how everything will work out.
“You never know how it all fits together until they're there in the middle of it,” Heupel said. “Everything happened fast with him, so maybe even a little bit less.
“The thing that was surprising for me was just how mature he was as a person. How he handled himself every moment of every day — in the meeting room, on the practice field. I think, in large part because of that, he transitioned well.”
One roadblock that nearly halted Brown from transferring was his anticipated December graduation. A move to Oklahoma was originally expected to require added coursework for Brown to finish on time.
But Sooners coach Bob Stoops hatched a plan that proved successful: Brown took fall classes at OU, transferred them back to Penn State and graduated in December as planned.
“I'm just gonna get my diploma mailed out,” he said when asked if he attended Penn State's fall commencement ceremony.
“I didn't want to get all into the distractions like that. It would've been a little too much.”
The Penn State graduate and Oklahoma football player will spend the next several weeks celebrating the two universities he'll forever be associated with.
“Penn State was really good to him,” said Joel Brown, Justin's father. “I'm glad he's got this opportunity to go back there and get his degree.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena