Oklahoma football: Landry Jones leads No. 13 Sooners past West Virginia
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Landry Jones threw six touchdown passes, including a 5-yarder to Kenny Stills with 24 seconds left, to lift No. 13 Oklahoma to a wild 50-49 win over West Virginia on Saturday night.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — When all else failed, Landry Jones saved Oklahoma.
The Sooners eeked out a 50-49 win Saturday on Mountaineer Field — and kept their conference-title and BCS bowl dreams alive — because of their much-maligned senior quarterback, who polished off the finest game of his career with the finest moment, which came when the Sooners desperately needed a hero and couldn’t seem to find one.
Videoview all videos
Nov 18Landry Jones threw for 554 yards and 6 touchdowns, four...
Nov 18Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey recap the Sooners' 50-49...
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Mike Stoops, hailed as Oklahoma’s savior when he returned as defensive coordinator? His defense was torched to the tune of 778 total yards.
Blake Bell, Jones’ heir apparent and a fan favorite? He was stuffed on third down, inside the Mountaineers’ 5-yard line with 26 seconds left and OU down 5 points.
So Oklahoma coaches turned to their Mr. Reliable, who re-entered the game on fourth down, audibled to change Kenny Stills’ route from a fade to a slant and threw a dead-on, 4-yard touchdown pass to give the Sooners the last points they’d need.
“Landry Jones, to lead those drives at the end of the game, such great precision, throwing strikes ... the receivers making tough, competitive catches,” said coach Bob Stoops. “He made great throws at important times. And the receivers, I’m so pleased. What’s helping now is Landry is confident with all of them.”
Jones finished Saturday with a school-record 554 yards and tied a career-high with six touchdown passes. He also became the third quarterback in major college football history to throw for at least 3,000 yards in four straight seasons.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law