Oklahoma football: Landry Jones leads No. 13 Sooners past West Virginia
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Landry Jones threw six touchdown passes, including a 5-yarder to Kenny Stills with 24 seconds left, to lift No. 13 Oklahoma to a wild 50-49 win over West Virginia on Saturday night.
Videoview all videos
Nov 18Landry Jones threw for 554 yards and 6 touchdowns, four...
Nov 18Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey recap the Sooners' 50-49...
Photoview all 23 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Making it all the more impressive is how much Oklahoma — and Jones — had struggled for much of the second half.
The Sooners scored on their first second-half drive, but then were forced to punt twice and had one drive end when Jones was intercepted inside West Virginia territory.
When Oklahoma began that final drive Saturday, West Virginia had just retaken the lead with a three-play, 92-yard drive. The home crowd was electric. The Mountaineer offense was exceeding even the highest expectations set for them during the preseason.
Brennan Clay returned the kickoff 46 yards, and Jones did the rest. He completed all four of his pass attempts on the drive.
“They came in here and overcame some adversity,” West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen said after the game.
“They ended up making one more play than we did, and that was the difference in this game.”
As coach Bob Stoops concluded his postgame session with reporters, Jones was entering the media room.
Stoops patted his four-year starter on the back and said, “Good job, big guy.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims