Oklahoma football: Landry Jones will remain as Sooners' starting quarterback
No debate. No discussion. No maybe. Jones will be the Sooners' starter throughout season.
Landry Jones was the first to clearly state that he didn't have a good game Saturday against Kansas State.
The starting quarterback said the loss was “probably on me.”
Videoview all videos
Sep 25After Landry Jones' troubles on Saturday against K-State,...
Sep 25How can the OU football team break out of their foul mood...
Sep 25The Sooners' senior quarterback stepped up to the podium...
Sep 24The Sooners head coach says he's still optimistic,...
Photoview all 95 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Then comes Monday, when the media is asking Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops questions. One of those questions referred to Jones' struggles and if those struggles continued if Stoops would consider replacing Jones.
Bob Stoop said this: “No.”
And that's it.
No debate. No discussion. No maybe. Landry Jones is and will be the starting quarterback for Oklahoma for 2012, and Blake Bell will run his Belldozer package when needed.
STOOPS WANTS WILLIAMS TO GET THE BALL MORE
Damien Williams busted off long touchdown runs in each of Oklahoma's first two games, but he only earned 10 carries in Saturday's 24-19 loss to Kansas State.
Williams finished with 36 yards; he had what originally appeared to be a 65-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter called back because of a holding penalty. Replays showed, though, that Williams had stepped out of bounds after about 10 yards.
Dominique Whaley and Roy Finch carried the ball before Williams got his first touch Saturday.
Coach Bob Stoops was asked Monday at his weekly news conference if Williams — who has rushed for 293 yards and five touchdowns through three games and is OU's leading rusher — should be getting more than 10 carries a game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena