Oklahoma football: No more time for going 'through the motions'
EL PASO, Texas — When looking back at the forest fires that burned the Oklahoma defense in 2011, we always focus on Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma State. Defeats all, the Sooners gave up 41, 45 and 44 in those games.
Videoview all videos
Aug 31Berry Tramel and Stephanie Kuzydym report from the Sun...
Aug 31The Sooners have a late 9:30 p.m. kickoff, how will this...
Aug 30David King will watch reruns of the Fresh Prince of Bel...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But David King remembers Kansas. The hapless Jayhawks had 246 first-half yards and 17 first-half points. The Sooners eventually won 47-17, but it foreshadowed what was to come.
“Last year, we got complacent,” said King, now a senior defensive tackle. “I told this to the guys. We started off 5-0, 6-0, we stomped Texas. Went to Kansas the next week, and we just went through the motions the first half.”
Time for no more motions with the OU defense, starting Saturday night in this Mountain time zone outpost, where Texas-El Paso awaits in Sun Bowl Stadium with no great offense but more fangs than the Sooners encountered at Kansas last October.
If the Sooners are to justify their No. 4 national ranking and status as Big 12 favorite, they've got to play better defense.
“The last two or three years, we haven't really been playing Oklahoma defense,” King said. “We're tired of hearing, ‘defense is the weak link, blah, blah, blah.' We want to come out and make a statement that we can ball like the Alabama defense, the LSU defense.”
Here's what's nutty. OU led the Big 12 in scoring defense, 22.1 points a game. In total defense, the Sooners were second in the Big 12, 376.2 yards per game. OU played some solid defense at times. Florida State scored just 13 points against OU; Kansas State scored just 17.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 60552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32931Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31925Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 12639Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8214Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5947Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3659Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman