Oklahoma football notebook: Josh Heupel compares 2000, 2012 teams
Heupel quarterbacked a 2000 team that “struggled early and was fortunate enough to find ways to win ball games.” Now, as the Sooners' co-offensive coordinator, the 2012 team is “getting better every week. We've made strides.”
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Saturday's home game against Notre Dame is “the most anticipated game since 2000” when Nebraska came to Norman ranked No. 1.
Videoview all videos
Oct 21It was a big-play kind of day, as Oklahoma used five...
Oct 21Jason Kersey and Jenni Carlson examine the Sooners' easy...
Photoview all 90 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The quarterback on that national championship Oklahoma team, Josh Heupel, is now the Sooners' co-offensive coordinator, and he was asked after Oklahoma's 52-7 rout of Kansas to compare the 2000 team with this year's squad.
“That team in 2000 struggled early and was fortunate enough to find ways to win ball games,” Heupel said. “Got better as the year went along. Got hot. Was highly competitive throughout the year in the way they approached practice every day and how they performed on Saturdays.
“This team, we are getting better every week. We've made strides.”
When Nebraska visited Norman in late October 2000, it was ranked No. 1 in the BCS standings, and Oklahoma was second. The Cornhuskers quickly took a 14-0 lead, but Oklahoma scored 24 second-quarter points and added a defensive score in the third to win 31-14.
Saturday's Notre Dame game has a similar feel — late October, top-10 matchup and a traditional power visiting OU.
Plus, the Irish represent one of Heupel's losses he never had an opportunity to avenge. Oklahoma lost 34-31 at Notre Dame in 1999, Stoops' first season as coach and Heupel's junior season, his first as OU's quarterback.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort