Oklahoma football: OU-West Virginia game remains a biggie for both teams
Sooners still hope to get a BCS bowl bid, while the Mountaineers are targeting a bowl, period.
NORMAN — During July's Big 12 Media Days, lots of anticipatory chatter centered around a game that was nearly four months away.
West Virginia defensive end Will Clarke, speaking then of his team's late-season showdown with Oklahoma, said, “In every season, you always have that one game that everyone circles, either in their mind, or their apartment, or somewhere.”
Videoview all videos
Nov 11Landry Jones threw for two touchdowns and Damien WIlliams...
Nov 10Jenni Carlson and Jason Kersey explain why the Sooners...
Photoview all 68 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Saturday, as was expected, a coveted BCS berth will be on the line — for one team, at least — when the Big 12 stalwart and flashy newcomer meet in Morgantown.
With its four-game losing streak, West Virginia went from being a 5-0 team with national-title aspirations to a squad needing another win just to reach bowl eligibility.
The Mountaineers' stunning collapse and Oklahoma's two losses have stripped the game of much of its luster, but each team still has a lot to gain — and lose — Saturday.
Alabama's loss Saturday made an Oklahoma appearance in a BCS bowl game much more plausible.
If Kansas State wins its two remaining games — Saturday at Baylor and a Dec. 1 home game against Texas — the Wildcats would be a virtual lock for the national championship game, leaving the Big 12 champion's Fiesta Bowl spot available for the Sooners to fill.
But if two-loss Oklahoma becomes three-loss Oklahoma, its chances of securing such a berth are greatly decreased.
West Virginia has lots of issues that have contributed to its downfall, but it is still a prideful — and desperate, which can be dangerous — program, gets Oklahoma at home and features a talented offense fully capable of scoring loads of points.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit