Oklahoma football: Sooner defense's next test is toughest
Oklahoma State's offense will challenge the OU defense in Saturday's Bedlam game. The Cowboys ran wild against the Sooners last year.
Videoview all videos
Nov 20OSU's Bedlam game vs. OU will play a huge role when it...
Nov 20OU prepares for Bedlam.
Nov 20OU's defense is addressed.
Nov 20Justin Brown will be among the players honored during...
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After the Baylor game, coach Bob Stoops said he expected the Bears to have success on the ground because of his team's commitment to stopping the pass, demonstrated in a frequently used scheme that included seven defensive backs and no linebackers.
Despite the struggles against Baylor, though, OU tried the same stuff — with even worse results — against West Virginia.
Tavon Austin, usually a receiver, became a running back and embarrassed the Sooner defense with his 344 yards and two touchdowns.
The odd defensive package isn't likely to make a third appearance against Oklahoma State.
“It's about making adjustments,” said defensive coordinator Mike Stoops. “West Virginia made a great adjustment to get their best player in space. I feel bad for our players that we didn't have a better answer than we did the other night.
“There's a lot of similarities to what we saw a week ago in what we're gonna see this week. They're almost identical in their approach. Their game plans are structured very similar. There's a lot of carry-over, but we're going to have to do some things a little different.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister