Oklahoma football: Sooners cancel workouts for HS juniors to focus on this year's recruiting class
OU postponed this weekend's scheduled junior day while a several top-flight seniors will be in Norman for official visits.
NORMAN — Oklahoma's football coaches sent a clear message with the postponement of this weekend's scheduled junior day: Getting a jump on the 2014 recruiting class would've been nice, but this year's class must be their top priority.
Videoview all videos
Jan 8What's the prognosis for the NFL draft hopes of Kenny...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
OU hosts several important official visitors for the 2013 class this weekend, like four-star cornerback L.J. Moore (Fresno, Calif.) and two-star defensive tackle Charles Walker (Garland, Texas).
The sense of urgency that the junior-day decision suggests surely stems — at least in part — from linebacker Jordan Mastrogiovanni's stunning switch from OU to Texas A&M on Sunday.
Mastrogiovanni, from Dallas-Jesuit, first committed to Oklahoma in June. The Sooners' late-season defensive struggles — particularly their 41-13 Cotton Bowl loss on Friday to Texas A&M — highlighted a strong need for linebackers.
Oklahoma's recruiting has been a wild, up-and-down ride over the past month:
*Dec. 6, Dallas Kimbal defensive tackle Justin Manning — whose brother, DeMarcus Granger, was a Sooner tackle from 2006-09 — committed to Texas A&M.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in