Oklahoma football: Sooners find positives despite allowing 97 points and 1,268 yards over last two games
Oklahoma's ability to make key stops at critical times — like overtime — played a big factor in beating Oklahoma State
Videoview all videos
Nov 26The Sooners' senior quarterback experienced an amazing...
Nov 26OU's head coach looks back upon a classic Bedlam win, and...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“We try not to look at earlier in the game, how many yards we've given up,” Walker said. “Right now, we need this stop. And then next series, right now we need this stop. That's what matters.”
Still, no one is glossing over the problems in OU's defense that its recent opponents have exposed.
After appearing dominant earlier in the season — especially in wins at Texas Tech and against Texas — the Sooners, over their last three games, have allowed 131 points.
“When somebody finds a weakness in your defense ... we haven't been able to correct it,” Stoops said. “We did make some adjustments and played some things better a week ago. “
Stoops said the biggest problem is the big plays; on the Cowboys' second-half opening touchdown, safety Tony Jefferson bit on a play-action fake, which allowed OSU's Josh Stewart to get open across the middle of the field.
“Tony's was a bad mental breakdown,” Stoops said. “We let them score on one play. ... When they make plays like over the middle, guy makes a great catch, we're covering them, you can live with ...
“You just let someone run by you, that's not good.”
Quarterback Landry Jones and the Oklahoma offense's ability to bail the defense out by simply outscoring the other team can't last forever.
“We've been living on the edge,” Stoops said. “We need to contribute in a stronger way this weekend.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed