Oklahoma football: Sooners overcome special teams' mistakes — this time
Unless punt and field goal units improve, wins will be tough to come by each week.
EL PASO, Texas — Tress Way's head was down as he watched the football drop toward his foot.
Then UTEP's Richard Spencer fell on the ball.
Videoview all videos
Sep 2Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey recap what went wrong in...
Sep 2The Sooners flirted with disaster in their season opener,...
Photoview all 66 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
OU's Chuka Ndulue had missed a block, and Spencer slipped through, blocking Way's attempted punt.
Remember how coach Bob Stoops kept saying this preseason that it wasn't all about quarterback Landry Jones, that it was the 10 guys around him? Well, aforementioned play Saturday night wasn't Tress Way's fault. It was the 10 guys around him — specifically three players assigned to protect Way from harm: senior David King, junior Trey Millard and Ndulue.
Instead of the Sooners' first punt of the 2012 season sailing toward the other end zone, they found themselves chasing UTEP's Nathan Jeffery after he scooped up the ball and took it 24 yards for a touchdown.
Who says OU need a special teams coach? Stoops took care of the problem five plays later, when Way was about to punt again.
For Stoops, King is Mr. Reliable on defense. Millard is Mr. Do It All. And then, and this should come as no surprise, there's Gabe Ikard — Mr. Go-To, You-Tell-Me-And-I'll-Do-It, Coach.
Just like Stoops counted on Ikard to step up anytime former center Ben Habern suffered an injury, he turned to Ikard after the missed tackle on the first punt.
Part of Ikard's role the last two years was to block on the punt, but also to communicate with his line what they would be seeing on the field. On Saturday night, as Ikard put it, when the boss man says to do something, you better do it.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims