Oklahoma football: Sooners safety Tony Jefferson leaves game with ankle injury
NORMAN — Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson limped around the field for most of the game Saturday with his right foot in a gray air-cast boot.
Jefferson sprained his right ankle during the Sooners' 69-13 victory over Florida A&M.
Videoview all videos
Sep 9OU junior running back Damien Williams sets a record for...
Sep 9Jason Kersey and Jenni Carlson discuss the huge win for...
Photoview all 68 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Late in the first quarter, the Sooners' safety hobbled off the field, got his ankle taped and returned a play later. He walked off the field hurt again after that play.
That's when the trainers cut off the tape and began icing the ankle.
Sooners coach Bob Stoops and the trainers don't think the sprain is significant. They decided to put Jefferson in a boot and sit out the rest of the game.
It wasn't worth the risk, even if his family made the trip from the San Diego area to watch the junior in the Sooners home opener.
“If it was a tighter, tougher game he could have probably played,” Stoops said, “but we didn't feel we needed to do that.”
Defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said Jefferson should be ready for their next game in two weeks.
“Tony has been playing well and he's disappointed,” Mike Stoops said. “We anticipate him to be back (for Kansas State).”
When Jefferson left the game, the score was already 14-0 in OU's favor. That's when Mike Stoops looked to his second string, senior defensive back Jesse Paulsen.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M