Oklahoma football: Sooners to move Mike Onuoha from defensive end to outside linebacker
OU coaches expect big things from former Edmond Santa Fe standout. Although listed at 235 pounds, Onuoha might be up to 260.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Edmond Santa Fe coaches also dropped Onuoha back into pass coverage in some instances, which is why Manning believes his former player could handle some of the pass-coverage responsibilities he might he assigned at linebacker.
Onuoha saw some early season action as a true freshman at Oklahoma, but he didn't develop quickly enough to contribute late in the season. He's still listed at 235 pounds on Oklahoma's official roster, but Manning said he believes Onuoha is up to 255 or 260 pounds.
“The thing about Mike is, he doesn't bring a lot of baggage day to day,” Manning said. “He's got a smile on his face, and he knows how to work. You don't have to be a psychiatrist every day to get him motivated to practice.
“I think he's gonna end up being a player for them, and I think they expect that. They need him to be.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims