Oklahoma football: What about Dominique Whaley?
NORMAN — Last week, coach Bob Stoops told reporters that if starting running back Damien Williams couldn't play on his injured ankle, senior Dominique Whaley would start against Iowa State.
Videoview all videos
Nov 5The Sooners senior quarterback steos up to the podium to...
Nov 5OU's head coach learns of Brennan Clay's alter ego, Toby,...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Whaley, a former walk-on, suffered a season-ending ankle injury midway through last season after earning the starting job. He resumed starting duties at the beginning of this season, but Williams' emergence led to his elevation on the depth chart.
Whaley, though, has barely seen the field at all since the Oct. 13 Texas game. In home contests against Kansas and Notre Dame, Whaley didn't play at all.
Then Saturday, with Williams suited up but clearly hobbled, junior Brennan Clay started in the backfield instead of Whaley, who carried the ball just one time in Ames.
“Coach (Cale) Gundy just felt Brennan was more ready,” Stoops said Monday.
Stoops said Monday that Whaley is “back and doing the best he can. ... He's doing great.”
Senior tackle Lane Johnson, who hurt his ankle against Notre Dame, only played on special teams Saturday. Junior guard Bronson Irwin also has dealt with some ankle issues; he was helped off the field at one point Saturday, but returned and finished the game.
“(Ankle injuries are) hard,” Stoops said. “The ankles, with all the pieces and when they break. They are tough to overcome.
“Probably fair to say they're even more serious than knee injuries, just because I think they're harder to repair with all the small pieces and ligaments in there.”
TRUTH IS KEY TO RECRUITING, ACCORDING TO KENNY STILLS
Kenny Stills came to Oklahoma to play for those who came before him.
Like Ryan Broyles. Mainly, Ryan Broyles.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad